Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Success !!!

Since bringing Rosie home she has managed to escape pretty much every enclosure I've put her in except her stall. She'd be fine as long as you were outside to watch her, but the moment she thought you were not watching she'd make a bee line to the existing electric fence which was not working correctly. She would duck her head under the second line and step over the bottom line and go visit the neighbors yard and pond.

Well, this past weekend I decided enough was enough and she was going to stay where I put her - no matter what.

Our pasture is 5 acres 90 % of it is post and rail with wire stock fence. She respects this. The other 10 % is electric poly rope. Then fencer, which I did not believe was working, is an older Tractor Supply brand 5 mile charger. Before I put the money into another fencer we decided to repair the parts of the fence where she's busted the wire, and put in more t-posts.

We installed 14 more t-posts in addition to the existing 8 that was there. We spaced them 8 foot a part. Then put new insulators on every post. After making sure the fencer was properly grounded our tester showed 5500 volts of electricity pulsing through all three lines.

Time to turn Rosie out with Bonnie and Tucker. Side note: Tucker is a 8 year old Haflinger Jodie is training. He is for sale and you can see him on Dream Horse.

Decide to leave Rosie's break away halter on her just incase she decides to power through the fence. I don't want to be trying to catch her in the dark without something to just grab ahold of.

She goes out and sniffs Bonnie, then Tucker. She immediately turns to the fence and starts to walk right through it. Then BAM - she sets her butt down and starts backing up very quickly!!! YES!!! She got all 5500 volts across the top of her neck (she'd already put her head through the top and middle lines) across her chest, and across her legs right above the knees. She tries it one more time further down with same results.

She then takes off at a full gallop which gets everyone else galloping. They do this for about 5 minutes while I keep blocking the run in shed door so they don't all run into it at the same time at full tilt.

As of this afternoon she was still contained in the pasture and the fence is intact. I believe I have successfully contained the great escape artist!!!


  1. HAHAHA!!!!! I can totally picture it! lol!

    Do you have caps on the T-posts? If you have a horse who tests the fence (and you do... obviously, lol) I can highly recommend them. After seeing an accident with t-posts next door to a farm where I worked I always cap my t-posts.

  2. Pony - yup they are capped! AND she's STILL contained!!!!

  3. Somehow, I do not think your Houdini is cured. She is simply waiting til the fence does not click and off she goes. Been there, done that. I check, every single day. Even in the middle of a blizzard. Sigh.

  4. phaedra96, welcome to my blog! I check EVERY day as well. So far we are on day 4 of her being turned out 24/7 and no wallowing in the neighbors pretty pond. Funny thing - she would bust out, but the other horses would not follow her.

  5. Congratulations on the solution!! It is just too scary to know a horse can get out and run loose...I saw an article in our local paper about a 3 year old horse who got out and was killed by a semi on one of the US Highways nearby....Gotta keep them in!

  6. Thanks John and Regina. It is very scary to have a horse get loose. Rosie was spending a lot of time in a stall because she wouldn't stay contained. Now she's outside and much happier.

  7. So you've got an escape artist too! It's amazing how they figure things out. Glad you've got her contained now.

  8. Maybe you need to dig her a pond? Then she would stay home???


Happy Trails!