I put the "Wide" (red) gullet into my Wintec All Purpose saddle and it appears to fit better. The size larger is the "Extra Wide" (white) that sat flush against her withers, and the next size smaller, "medium wide" (blue), pinched the shoulders. The saddle fitter I spoke to recommended the "red" gullet and pad up with the Mattes or Thinline type of pad if needed.
So I took some pictures - the best I could standing on a plastic cat food box with a very curious mare trying to figure out what I was doing. Please ignore the shavings on the middle of her back - I thought I got them all =/
|Looks level (and tiny)|
|Rosie turned just as I was clicking - best of three I took from the back|
|Good wither clearance|
|Looks wide enough where the flocking at the nail starts?|
|Left side is hard to see because of her mane - and she moved so a tad blurry|
1. Where did the brakes go?
2. I can still put my hand between pommel and withers when sitting in saddle.
3. Ears are forward
4. Um... half halt?? I'm still walking!
5. Reaching for contact at walk
6. Rosie is asking to trot -- ok TROT
7. WOW BIG TROT !!
8. Um... half halt??
9. It's COLD and Dark what am I doing?
10. Ears still forward - one half cocked in my direction
11. By stander asks if she will do a nice round circle... I say 'um should let's try'
12. Ok Jen remember inside leg to outside rein and weight the outside stirrup - ready... set... TROT
13. WOW BIG TROT!
14. ... and we have bend, working off our hind quarters, contact and round =) I love this horse!
So all in all she was MUCH more willing to give me forward, felt like she was leaping into trot. It was pretty cold, and dark so I called it quits after 10 minutes.