Wednesday, November 18, 2009

For Grey Horse Matters

I have a question in regards to running a boarding facility.

I've been doing research on insurance and am seeing broad range of insurance types.. do you have any suggestions?



  1. Ohh, I don't know from experience but I would think you'd need property coverage of course, coverage for all of the tack etc., and probably some type of personal liability coverage..

  2. We have the obvious - fire/theft/property damage for the building, equipment and personal property. We also carry workmen's comp insurance for the employees. We used to carry custody and control insurance in the event a horse was injured/killed in our care, but as none of the horses at our barn are expensive show horses, we no longer carry that. No one affiliated with our barn does training for money - in fact we prohibit it - so there's no liability insurance for training activities. Any outside trainer who visits has to provide evidence of insurance. Any one who steps onto the premises, even a casual guest, has to sign a liability release that contains the appropriate language referencing our state law on equine activities. All boarders indemnify us in their boarding agreements for injury or damage caused by their horses. There are also special horse owner's policies you can get to cover damage/injury caused by your horses.

    Hope that's of some help!

  3. Thanks for visiting my blog, and following along!

  4. Hi sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, I've been busy. I think Kate covered a lot of it in her comment. But the best thing you can do is check with the insurance companies and see what your state requires. You've really got to protect yourself from lawsuits for everything from injuries to horses, riders, employees etc...
    If you can you might be able to hire independent contractors such as barn managers, trainers or muckers that carry their own insurance. You'll still need fire and theft,liability and then an umbrella policy to cover it all.
    Make sure you have a release form that every one in the barn signs absolving you from any liability if they or their horses get injured. You might also want to incorporate the business by forming a corporation so your personal assets will be protected just in case anything goes askew. Most people form LLC (limited liability corporations). If you're sued they can only sue the corporation and not attach your personal assets. I'm not an expert on this as my husband really took care of all the insurance and contract business. I know this is not much help but I wish you luck if you really have your heart set on having a boarding business.

  5. Thank you everyone so much for your information. I tend to over insure and will here too. More to come later.

  6. ooou sounds like you are almost a go for the DREAM!


Happy Trails!