You would think something so basic as "Don't Run and Scream" wouldn't have to be posted to a wall where all can see, but as a long time boarder I can tell you that even the obvious need to be stated.
My goals for a "Rules List" was to keep it precise, covers all the obvious, and keep it to one 8.5 x 11 piece of paper! I started by putting my absolute must type rules like:
1. NO SMOKING
2. Helmet MUST be worn by EVERYONE when mounted. NO EXCEPTIONS!
3. Pick up after yourself and your horse
I ended up with 20 + line items. To fit my paper size requirement I needed to pair that down so off to the internet I went to get a sampling of "Barn Rules". I'm stilling giggling over the barn manager who had to explicitly state:
"No riding of bicycles allowed in the barn aisles"
I ended up with the following list:
1. USE COMMON SENSE AND SAFE EQUINE HANDLING PRACTICES
2. No smoking on property
3. No drinking of alcoholic beverages allowed on the property associated with stables.
4. Helmets required when mounted for everyone – no exceptions!
5. Children under the age of 16 must be supervised at all times, unless certified by a J & J Stables authorized trainer or manager.
6. Do not leave your horse(s) unattended in crossties.
7. Always mount and dismount outside, unless you are riding in the indoor arena.
8. Keep the aisles and wash stall clean of tack, brushes, halters, hoof pickings or manure if you or your horse put it there, pick it up!
9. Do not ride on properties not designated as allowed riding areas. The stable will not be held responsible for any injury, accident and/or death occurring because you failed to stay on proper trails, fields or roads. The stable will not be responsible for any fines and/or jail terms for trespassing on posted or non-posted properties.
10. No running or yelling in the barn or courtyard. The stable cannot be responsible for any injury, accident and/or death associated with scaring or spooking an equine due to inappropriate behavior or misbehavior.
11. All injuries, accidents and damages must be immediately brought to the attention management. Failure to report injury or accident may result in termination of boarding, lease, and/or lesson contracts.
What would be on your "Barn Rules" list and what was the most absurd "barn rule" you've encountered?